This article illustrates how to import a .PST file into a mailbox using the Zimbra Import Wizard.
Prerequisites and import information
In order to use the Zimbra Import Wizard, you must have an Outlook client installed. The wizard will import messages, attachments, contacts, calendars and also maintain the folder hierarchy of the mail folders. If categories have been assigned to messages and/or contacts they will be converted to tags. The following Outlook features cannot be imported into the Zimbra mailbox; Meeting requests, Notes, Tasks, Rules and Alerts, Journal entries, and personal distribution lists.
Migrating away from Microsoft Exchange?
There is a known issue when importing a .PST file that was exported from a Microsoft Exchange profile using the Zimbra Import Wizard. When an Exchange .PST file is imported, all internal contacts (mailboxes under the same domain) do not show up in imported messages. For example, if you import a message that came from an Exchange .PST file and tried to reply to that message from a mail client such as the Zimbra Web Client only the display name would appear and not the email address. There are two options you can choose when using the Zimbra Import Wizard.
1. The first option involves two .PST file exports and two .PST file imports. The first .PST file export would contain everything in the mailbox except for mail. The second .PST file export would first involve configuring the mailbox to be set up as an IMAP account in Outlook and then exported to a .PST file with only mail. At that point, you can then import the .PST files by going through the wizard twice.
2. The second option is to simply import the .PST file that was exported from the Microsoft Exchange profile and accept that internal contacts in imported messages will not work when replying. This is not the recommended method.
Check .PST file size(s)
The most important thing you can do is to import as little data as possible. We strongly recommend archiving email older than 60 days to a PST file in you’re My Documents folder. The Zimbra mailbox is alloted 25GB of storage space.
1. Make sure that the previous data that you are going to import is not more than the mailbox is able to hold.
2. Importing data takes approximately 1 hour per gig of data. This may slow down your computer and your network connection.
3. Larger data amounts could cause sync time to slow down between computers and mobile devices.
4. Larger data store = greater probability for data corruption.
By default, messages larger than 10 MB will not be imported. The message size includes the message and attachments. If the message is larger than 10 MB, a warning is logged to the Migration Wizard log file, which can be reviewed from the Import Complete dialog when the migration is complete. This is a limitation of the Import Wizard and not a limitation with the service.
Note: You can modify the following registry key to change the default limit: HKCU\Software\Zimbra\MaxAttachSizeMB. The registry key should be specified in megabytes (MB). Editing the Registry may have adverse affects on the local machine and we assume no responsibility for the impact this could have on your local computer.
1. To download the Zimbra PST Import Wizard, go to http://support.saashost.net and click on the Download Section. Under the Zimbra category, select Zimbra PST Import Wizard - ZIP file.
2. Once downloaded, extract the contents of the .ZIP file and open the .exe file to begin your installation. Once the ZCS import Wizard for Outlook Window appears select Next to begin.
3. You will now be prompted to correctly configure the server you are importing your data to. Fill in the required information using the examples below. Click on Next when completed.
- Hostname: mail.zimbraservice.com
- Port: 443 *Use Secure Connection
- Username: Your Zimbra email address
- Password: Your password
4. Navigate to the location, of the .PST file, that will be imported. Select Next to continue.
5. Choose the items to be imported. We recommend maintaining the option "Convert meetings to new address" to avoid meeting conflicts. Once completed select Next.
6. Additional import configuration options are handled here. Select all that apply and click Next to continue.
7. You will now be prompted to begin your import. If all options are set click OK. If changes need to be made, select cancel to go back to the import options screen.
8. If during your import the "Exchange Specific Addresses Found" dialog box is displayed, select Cancel. This window is to configure an LDAP server which is not installed within the Zimbra platform.
9. The PST import is now complete. Select Import another PST file or Finish to exit the import wizard.